Monday, March 9, 2009

Remarkable

I got a letter from on of my recent converts who ended up becoming our branch missionary in Tsakane and coming to teach with us a lot. I told you about him. His name is Wandile. We spent Christmas at his house. Anyways that was a nice surprise. It's amazing to see the change happen in a person's life when the gospel takes affect.

So for this week I think the most interesting experience was a guy named Prince. We tracted into this guy maybe two weeks ago. When we taught him and his wife at first we weren't even sure if he spoke English. But after a short time we realized not only did this old man speak English very well but he also understood all of the concepts very well. So at our first lesson he told us he and his wife we alcoholics. We tried to give him some words of advice to quit and he hasn't touched alcohol since. The bad part is that soon after our first lesson we came back and asked him how he was. He said not good. His wife had left him. To this day she still hasn't come back but that hasn't stopped him from gaining a testimony. I can already see this seed growing inside him. It's amazing. This old man who can barely walk has been on alcohol his entire life. Then here come the missionaries and teach him truth. what do you know, he changes his life around and is coming to know what is really important in life. The level of understanding at his age is remarkable. I mean go read Alma chapter 12 and you'll find some pretty interesting concepts in there that may even be hard for someone well-learned to understand at first. We would teach these things to Prince and he would look at us like every other person(blank stare) but he would then ask very thoughtful questions. Like he will ask "so your saying we can't be free of sins without following the gospel of Jesus Christ?" or "Well then what happens to those who don't free themselves of their sins?". It's great to meet someone who is not just interested in your message because its from God but because he actually wants to know truth from God! Then to have that person be over 70 years old is remarkable.

Anyway so that was my awesome experience this week. We're going to try and put Prince on baptismal date tonight actually. Yesterday we had baptismal interviews. We have 4 people getting baptized on Saturday. That will be awesome! Last night I cooked those cookies you sent me at Christmas. Let me say thank you mom and thanks from all the missionaries in my district. They were a hit. Now I'll have to try and make some from scratch.

Thanks for all the love and support! I know that I am truly blessed to have such loving friends and family. Know that I am safe and healthy and still loving the mission. I love you all!

Love, elder robinson

No comments: