Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boom!

So something crazy happened this week. First of all, know that I am safe and no one got hurt.

We were having two baptismal interviews this Saturday, one at 11am and one at 12pm. I was also planning on making navajo tacos at a member's house on sunday. Since we have the car on Saturday but not Sunday, I was going to drop the food off at a little tuck shop that is owned by another member, then take the food to the member's house where we were going to cook later. Anyways, so as we drove into our area (the zone leader and I) I began to slow down. Now remember that we drive on the left side of the road here, and the tuck shop was on the right side. so i went to cross the road (there is no intersection here by the way). As I looked at the man standing in front of the tuck shop I looked for maybe a hello or something. Instead I got a horrible look and then BOOM!! A car hit me from the right side (my side) knocking me back to the left side. The car that hit me then bounced off to the right. His left tire hit a rock launching the car into the air. The car landed going back to the left just as he tried correcting to the right, he hit a speed bump(a big one) and finally stopped about 100ft down the road from me. I stepped out of the car in fear of the air bags exploding on me. I walked over to the tuck shop dazed, not sure what just happened. Sister Johanna (the one working at the tuck shop) came running out screaming "are you ok?!!" I looked around to see people coming out of their houses and kids coming to see what happened from the park. I began to realize that I was the only white person here and got very scared. Whatever happens, in a township it is always the white man's fault. As we began to sort things out another member sent her husband to go get the police (they don't come if you call). They came and told us we'd need to file a report at the police station. Our car was messed up. Basically it was only drivable for short distances. The driver door doesn't close and the right front tire is scraping something. Anyways to make a longer story short, the kid driving didn't have a license and it was his dad's car not to mention he was speeding (which was ridiculous in itself since there was that speed bump right in front of us and he lived just around the corner). So the father was on our side and so was the police. We filed the report and gave the car to the mission to take care of. I think they will be able to take care of all the legal stuff with the other party.

The Damage:


The "good side" of the car with the tuck shop in the background.

Now it was sad that we missed our appointment's that day but I know that we were and are blessed to be safe. If I would have been through the turn just a little bit more I would have been creamed. Instead we just bounced off him. So we were lucky in that. Plus we were able to walk around that same day and we finished one of the baptismal interviews. The other one we had to postpone. So it was quite an experience. I'm glad I am safe and I know it's because of the prayers of my friends and family. So thanks!!

Here are some other recent pictures...

Preparation-Day activity:


Saying goodbye to my first companion, Elder Brown:


The best missionaries in South Africa:

Well besides that we have to figure out all our transporting problems this week. We might get a replacement car but we're not sure. So I guess we'll just see. This is gonna make our baptisms next week very hard. Hopefully we'll get a car soon.

Love, elder robinson

1 comment:

Marinn said...

Jacob- We are so grateful the Lord kept you safe. Wow! How great that you have baptisms scheduled!!You are doing a great work and we pray for you. We love you.
Aunt Marinn