Monday, June 29, 2009

Be Ready, Feel Ready

I know that I am truly blessed to have such an awesome family like I do. Being here makes me realize how blessed I was and sometimes I wish I could go back and make some things right...but at least through all the teachings and love you've given me I was at least able to come around.

It gets pretty close to freezing here but not quite. When I got here last year it was towards the end of winter. It was cold but not too bad. I do have a big snow coat and gloves and a beanie and stuff.

Dumbollo is the stuff that the other guys left on the pot a while ago haha. But I won't leave it cooking in the apartment like they did. It turned out pretty good though. I made some on Thursday. I don't know what sweet bread is. It's very simple though, 1kg flour, about a cup or so of sugar (I eyeball it), and a small package of instant yeast, some warm water, knead the dough and let it rise. Then you put it in a plastic bag, put the plastic bag in a bowl and the bowl in a bigger pot. You put water in the pot, cover and set on medium heat. Then it cooks for about 2.5 hrs. It's pretty good.

Father's day is celebrated here. Nn fact an awesome father and his family was supposed to come to church on Sunday but didn't because they had a big Father's day celebration.

In my spare time I am reading The Miracle of Forgiveness. That is a good book. I wish i would have read it sooner. I will most likely be here in Sharpeville for 6 months. 6 months in an area is the usual...sort of. It just depends on where President needs you when and why.

Well as for this week, not too much happened. Our baptismal candidates all passed their interviews...that is Yvonne, Henslop, and Okuhle. But then Okuhle came to me at church wanting to ask if it would be bad if she cancelled the baptism. I was a little shocked but not too bad. She just felt like she wasn't ready. So I talked to her about it and we said we would decide this week. I made sure she knew that it didn't matter either way but that she should be ready and feel ready. So we'll see. I'm excited to baptize Henslop. I remember when I was told I was staying here for another 6 weeks. I was excited so that I could baptize Henslop. That's gonna be great. Oh and a funny story. So yesterday we introduced Prince to Henslop. Now rememeber that Prince is 73 and can hardly see and Henslop is 79 and cannot see at all. So they start talking together at church. Well come to find out- they used to box together when they were younger in the same boxing league! They knew each other! haha. Then Prince showed Henslop to the gospel principles class. That was funny to see...a man who can hardly walk showing another old man to class. Prince's friend Andres was at church who is another funny old man. Seeing the three of them walk, well shuffle, down the passage was classic. You had to be there. It warmed the heart.

So yea, next Sunday we will be having some baptisms. It will be sweet. Thanks again for all the love and support!

Love, elder robinson

2 comments:

holli h. said...

Sounds like you are still doing great jacob! I love hearing about Henslop. He sounds like a legit guy, and I like his name too. I sent you a postcard today. I won't say from where... hopefully it gets to you.

Marinn said...

It is great to read your experiences. I hope the baptisms go well. It is so hot here it is hard to imagine you in such cold weather! We just wanted you to know we are thinking of you and sending lots of love your way in our thoughts and prayers. Hope you can feel it!
Love,
Aunt Marinn