Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pronunciation... Mamelodi: Mam-e-load-e

Now we don't technically live in Mamelodi. We live in an area called Ferry Glen. Then we drive into the area which takes about 20-30 minutes. We are in a 4 man flat. I love it much more than two man. The navajoes went great as usual. There are a lot of people I will miss in Sharpeville and a lot that will miss me for sure (at least that's what they wrote in the journal) Remember Okuhle? Well she asked me why I couldn't tell them 'No I don't want to leave Sharpeville!' haha. Oh and she is going to finally be baptized this coming Sunday. That will be awesome. I just wish I could be there for it! I'll try to get you a picture. I was going to send pics but this new internet cafe is lame.

So Mamelodi is not as cold (but still cold) and it also has some hills (but not too much). My new companion is Elder Bakker from Idaho Falls. He's a way cool guy and we get along great. He'll make me a better missionary for sure. I love mamelodi already. I had my first sacrament meeting as a missionary in a chapel on Sunday! Yahoo! haha and it was warm...almost too warm. We have an old branch that is on the verge of becoming a ward and being split. I hope I can be here for that. I'm so excited to get things going. We went to PEC on Sunday and I was blown away. They were just so organized and I can actually have an organization to work through to do some of my ideas. Also on Sunday this man Isaac showed up. We taught him my first night in Mamelodi. It was maybe the 2nd or 3rd time he'd been with the missionaries. He is a smart guy and very interested. So he showed up to church and then we went to see him and his family afterwards. It was awesome. It was his daughter's birthday(her 27th) and at the end I told her I had a present for her. It was the Book of Mormon. She actaully got really excited because she had seen her father's and wanted her own. Then at the end Isaac said he had one more question (the whole family was gathered for a prayer) but he said he'd save it for next time. I felt like we should have a kneeling prayer. So I asked if it would be ok. Then Isaac said that's what he was going to ask and was very happy to have a kneeling prayer. It was awesome. So on Saturday I had my first baptismal interview. It was...kinda hard to describe. I was nervous, happy, confused, and feeling the spirit all at the same time. It really was powerful. It was especially different because the investigator was from Taiwan! He was just a little different but an awesome guy. I'm actually excited to do another one now!

So yea, I've been so extremely busy now since last week...since I found out I was leaving. I'm hoping things will slow down because it's just going too fast right now. Time is flying. Friday is my year mark!

Well that's my email this week. I love mission life. I love you and I'm always grateful for your support everyday. :)

Much Love,
elder robinson

No comments: