Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Sereo's and Other Happenings

Myself, Elder Bakker, Elder Boreham (from South Africa) and Elder Barnhurst (from Philmore, Ut) they work the west side of Mamelodi.

This week was pretty sweet. We put 3 fathers on baptism date. One of which basically said that he's going to do whatever it takes to be baptized and find the truth. Two of them we actually had our first appointment with this week! On the second appointment we put them on date! It was sweet.

We had zone conference this week. I learned a lot about the spirit that I thought I knew...but I really didn't. Our mission president is very smart. We went into some deep doctrine that has changed my whole perspective of missionary work.

The best thing this week had to do with Isaac's family, the Sereo's. We had planned to cook for them on Thursday and bring it to them in the evening. So we got everything ready and then headed over there at about 7pm. They hadn't arrived yet so we waited. In a few minutes Isaac and his wife, Asnath, drove up with all their grandkids in the car. I guess they had just decided to take the day off and spend the day with the family at the park (it was a public holiday anyways). That family works so hard. It was nice to be able to see them taking time off to spend as a family. Isaac and Asnath have had some serious problems in the past and she even told us that she had been asking God if she should get a divorce but she kept getting an answer to stay even though she was miserable. Since we've been working on teaching them about the gospel and how to strengthen their family they have had so much more happiness in the home. So now the next step has been to bring them the gospel and have them be baptized. We've been trying very, very hard. So on Thursday we only had a few minutes to share a short "our purpose" lesson. Then Asnath asked, "If I was baptized in my church do I still need to be baptized in yours if I come to it?". That was such a break-through question. Elder Bakker explained again about the Restoration and Priesthood Authority. She said that we'd be surprised one day...she'll be coming to church every Sunday. She just needs to get some things in order. So pretty soon we're going to try and get them on baptism date. We'll see how it goes! If you could pray for the Sereo's (ser-ay-oh). My whole heart is into that family.

So yeah, that's my week. Next Saturday is transfer news. We'll see if my companion is leaving. I'm really not sure what's going to happen. Whatever the Lord wants.

Oh and next week is General Conference!!!! Sweet. Don't forget to watch the World Report and look for the Pretoria Helping Hands segment! I was there...see if you can see me. I'd be wearing a yellow hat and my orange shirt that has the panda on it (See pictures of the day below). Check and see!

love, elder robinson

Some more pictures of life on the mission:

You know I keep talking about Isaac and his wife Asnath, this is Asnath. We were helping her peel potatoes. I love that family...it's The Sereo family. They are my main focus out of all the families we are teaching. Isaac will definitely be a bishop someday.


Some pictures from the Helping Hands Day we did a few weeks ago. We had the largest helping hands activity in Africa...right here in Pretoria. The World Report was there so look for us in between general conference sessions in a few weeks.




Pretoria streets and homes:





1 comment:

La Familia Pichler said...

Elder Robinson - How exciting to read of your happenings in South Africa. Hard to imagine that in a couple of years Daniel will be putting in his mission papers, waiting for his call and will have amazing experiences that will be such an impact. Lots of Love from Stockton -

Alesha and the Pichler Family!