Thursday, September 4, 2008

Getting IT

The usual has been going on down here this week. Actually it was pretty busy. On Tuesday we had my first zone conference where we got to see all the other missionaries. That was pretty cool. Then we went to Pretoria on Thursday because my companion was asked to teach some of the youth there, the haka. He's Samoan but he's from Salt Lake City, Utah. Anyways so that was cool. Plus we went to the biggest mall in the Southern hemishpere which is in Pretoria. It was pretty cool. To be honest I was a little annoyed that we wasted a day and a half in Pretoria just to teach the haka. The real reason was that my companion was trained in Pretoria and he had area sickness bad. But we still did good work when we were in our area.

On Saturday I had a cool expereince that reminded me why I am on a mission. We have been teaching this lady that lives way away from the church building and hasn't come to sacrament meeting yet. We'd taught the whole first and second lesson and she always gave the typical "yes, yes, yes, i love jesus" response. She just didnt get it. To top it off she always had this friend there who was a sangoma(witch doctor) which was kinda weird. But then on Saturday we went to see her expecting to tell her we'll make another appointment when she comes to church(our way of dropping people). When we walked in she was sitting at the table with her Incwadi kamamoni (Zulu Book of Mormon) open, all marked up and she was smiling. We sat down and asked her how the reading and praying was going. She got so excited and told us that she felt so happy and peacful whenever she prayed to know. She said that she did know that its true. To top it off she said her friend, the sangoma, had felt the same and was excited to talk to us. I felt bad that we had to leave to go to a dinner appointment, but man it felt good to finally see someone get it.

Well that is all from TSAKANE. I hope everything is going well. I love you all and miss you.

love, elder robinson

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Dear jacob,
I hope that south africa is treatin you good man because fresno has a lot to offer haha.(besides 100 degree weather) I just had a soccer game yesterday where i scored 2 goals and we rizzaped the other team like 7-1. Well my prayers are with you bro and i hope that you will overcome the tuff trials that are ahead. If you work hard enough at something the lord will take care of the reast and things will work out.
From your loving cousin, Tyler Haroldsen
A.K.A. themakattak